Tuesday 4 September 2012

Let Them Eat (Diet-Friendly, Sugar-Free) Cake!


Since today is my birthday, I’m going to leave this post rather light so I can spend time relaxing and baking my birthday cake! That’s right, at 4.5 weeks until showtime, I’m eating cake on my birthday! Granted,it’s not full of sugar and fat, but it’s darn tasty and diet-friendly! So today’s post will be the recipe to my birthday cake (I usually bake it like a brownie, but it’s fluffy enough to pass as cake, especially if you spread some ). I know it’s not organic, and it does involve some artificial sugars, but we can’t have everything! Enjoy! (Iknow I’ll be enjoying a few slices later tonight!)


Preheat oven to 400ºF, and spray an 11"x7" Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the following ingredients:
1 cup oats, ground in a food processor or coffee grinder
2 scoops milk chocolate Gaspari Myofusion protein powder (or any other chocolate protein powder, but I find that Myofusion is the most delicious!)
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup stevia
1/2 tsp baking powder (I use one that is sodium-free)

In a separate bowl, whisk/blend the following ingredients:
2 oz. nut butter (I use a cashew almond butter)
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 cup Walden Farms chocolate syrup
1/2 cup water

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix. Pour the batter into the baking dish, and bake for 30-40 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Best diet-friendly brownies ever!

(This recipe is adapted from Ava Cowan's recipe at http://www.gasparinutrition.com/TeamGaspari/ViewAthleteBlog.aspx?id=62&postid=4919.)

The nutritional information, if anyone is interested, is as follows:

Per 1/16 of the recipe (but I usually cut a whole pan into 8 pieces because I like BIG pieces!)
65.44 cal
2.75 g fat
5.75 g carbs
5.44 g protein
20.38 mg sodium
1.19 g fibre
0.44 g sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment